The Black Bull was in existence at the top of Main Street from 1827, and was the oldest hostelry in the village. Unfortunately it closed at the end of 1999, and the site has now been developed for retail use by Marks & Spencer. The photograph above was taken from the Copland and Lye clock at the junction of Douglas Street and Main Street.
Demolition started on 16 April 2000. Part of the north and east facades have been retained but these have been desecrated by the installation of large windows.
More photos of the Black Bull, mostly taken the day before demolition started, can be found here.